Transient (Guest) Applicants

A transient student is a (temporary) guest from another college or university who has permission from their home institution to enroll at Georgia Highlands College for one semester.

Students admitted as a transient are allowed to register for one semester. If they desire to register for another term, they must reapply, pay the application fee, and submit an updated transient permission letter.

If a current transient student decides to remain at Georgia Highlands College within a degree program, that student must apply for admission as a transfer applicant and comply with all admissions requirements and policies for the appropriate enrollment category and send all required credentials (official high school/college transcripts, SAT or ACT scores, etc.) by the posted application deadline date and meet the minimum standards for admission (based on the student type) that are in place at the time of application.

Transient students are expected to pay their tuition and fees out of pocket by the fee payment deadline. If you’re currently receiving federal financial aid at the home institution (Pell, loans), ask the Financial Aid Office to send a Consortium Agreement to GHC’s Financial Aid Office. If you’re currently receiving state merit awards at the home institution (Hope or Zell), ask the Financial Aid Office to send a Hope or Zell Transient Certificate to GHC’s Financial Aid Office. Discuss the reimbursement process with the home institution.

Transient students are not required to attend a new student orientation session and are not guaranteed course availability. Transients should seek advising by their home institution to make sure that the courses taken at GHC will satisfy degree requirements in your pathway of study.

It is the responsibility of the student to request GHC send a transcript to their home institution at the end of the semester.

Admissions Requirements

  • Transient applicants must provide a Transient Permission Letter from their current college, university or technical school on official letterhead, verifying that they are in good academic standing and eligible to return to their home institution in order to be considered for admission as a transient student. GHC will not accept a letter of no objection (in lieu of a transient permission letter) for students who have been dismissed from their home institution.

  1. Complete an admissions application and pay the $30 application processing fee
  2. Submit a Transient permission letter from your home institution
  3. Contact the Financial Aid Office at your home institution and ask that a Consortium Agreement and/or Hope or Zell Transient Certificate be sent to GHC’s Financial Aid Office if you’re seeking federal financial aid and/or state merit awards.
  4. Applicants who seek to be classified as in-state for tuition purposes, are required to provide validation of residency and lawful presence in both the State of Georgia and the United States. Below is a list of acceptable documentation to prove lawful presence in Georgia:
    • A current driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008. A limited term license or a license issued for a period of less than four years is not acceptable.
    • A certified U.S. Birth Certificate showing the student was born in the U.S. or a U.S. territory (must be delivered to a GHC campus – fax or photocopy is unacceptable)
    • A U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (USCIS form N-550 or N-570)
    • A U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (USCIS form N-560 or N-561)
    • A U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (DS-1350) or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240)/
    • A current U.S. Passport
    • A current ID issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008. A limited term ID or an ID issued for a period of less than four years is not acceptable.
    • Permanent Resident Card (USCIS form I-151 or I-551)
  5. Monitor the Check Admissions Status link often for updates to your application
  6. After you are admitted, you may register yourself (if there are no holds on your account) via your Banner / SCORE account. If you have registration holds on your account, you may visit an academic advisor at any GHC location or contact an advisor by e-mail at for assistance.

*A certification of immunization signed by a licensed healthcare provider is required for continued registration (after student’s first semester of attendance) at GHC.