- Satisfactory completed the GED (General Education Diploma) as required by the state in which the GED test was administered.
- Students (under the age of 24) who submit a GED will be required to make up any deficiencies in the five academic areas of required high school coursework (English, Math, Social Science, Natural Science, and Foreign Language) as required for their chosen pathway of study. Applicants may view a complete listing of required high school curriculum courses (per USG Board of Regents standards) at the following web link, http://www.usg.edu/assets/student_affairs/documents/Staying_on_Course.pdf.
*GED Applicants Under the age of 18
GED applicants under the age of 18 at the time of enrollment will be required to complete the additional steps listed below.
- Provide two letters of recommendation from individuals outside the family who are in position to speak to the students maturity and educational potential
- Provide SAT or ACT Scores that are at or above our previous freshman class average SAT score of the previous year’s fall semester first-time freshmen as detailed below in order to be consideration of admission to Georgia Highlands College.
NOTE: In March 2016, the College Board redesigned the SAT test. The highest scores on either the new SAT or the old SAT will be used to determine admissibility, however old and new versions of the SAT cannot be combined to determine eligibility for admission. Additionally, SAT and ACT scores cannot be combined.
- SAT Minimum Scores Required (testing completed prior to March 2016)
- 450 critical reading/verbal and 450 math
- SAT Minimum Scores Required (testing completed March 2016 and later)
- Reading Test Score 25 and Math Test Score 24.5 (new SAT score minimums equated to old score structure based on conversion provided at https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/pdf/higher-ed-brief-sat-concordance.pdf)
- ACT Minimum Scores Required
- English 18 and Math 18
Steps to Enrollment
- Complete an admissions application and pay the $30 application processing fee
- Provide a copy of your GED test score report (Note: a copy of the GED diploma will be accepted for applicants age 24 and older)
- Request official high school transcript up to the point you were enrolled (Note: required for applicants under the age of 24)
- Request official SAT or ACT scores sent to GHC (not required but can be used to exempt placement testing
- Applicants who seek to be classified as in-state for tuition purposes, are required to provide validation of residency and lawful presence in both the State of Georgia and the United States. Below is a list of acceptable documentation to prove lawful presence in Georgia:
- A current driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008. A limited term license or a license issued for a period of less than four years is not acceptable.
- A certified U.S. Birth Certificate showing the student was born in the U.S. or a U.S. territory (must be delivered to a GHC campus – fax or photocopy is unacceptable)
- A U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (USCIS form N-550 or N-570).
- A U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (USCIS form N-560 or N-561)
- A U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (DS-1350) or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240)/
- A current U.S. Passport.
- A current ID issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008. A limited term ID or an ID issued for a period of less than four years is not acceptable.
- Permanent Resident Card (USCIS form I-151 or I-551)
- Monitor the Check Admissions Status link often for updates to your application
- Register to take the placement exam through the Check Admissions Status link (if required)
- Register to attend Orientation through the Check Admissions Status link (at orientation you will meet with an academic advisor and register for classes)
*A certification of immunization signed by a licensed healthcare provider is required for continued registration (after student’s first semester of attendance) at GHC.