- Student MUST graduate from high school with a 3.0 GPA as calculated by the Georgia Student Finance Commission.
- Students MUST maintain 3.0 GPA in college.
- Beginning Fall 2011 – if a student falls below a 3.0 GPA in college (at a checkpoint), they may only regain the HOPE Scholarship one time.
- The HOPE Scholarship will NOT pay for Learning Support classes.
- A student may receive the HOPE Scholarship up until:
- Student earns a Bachelor’s Degree
- Student has attempted at any post-secondary institution 127 semester hours
- Student has received a total of combined Hope payment up to 127 semester hours (from HOPE Scholarship, HOPE Grant and/or Hope Accel payments made prior to Fall 2011)
- 7 YEAR Limit: Students receiving the HOPE Scholarship for the 1st time Summer 2011 have up to 7 years from the date of high school graduation, date of GED Test, or date of completion of an accredited Home School Program to receive the HOPE Scholarship.
- The 7-year limit does not apply to students who received a HOPE Scholarship payment prior to Summer 2011.
HOPE Will Pay:
- Per credit hour up to 15 credit hours (rate subject to change each year based on tuition rates) -does not cover Fees or Books
- HOPE will only pay up to 127 total attempted semester hours.
Example: If you have 126 total attempted credit hours, you will only receive HOPE for one credit hour for the semester.
- HOPE will not pay for Learning Support classes
Applying for HOPE
If you think you may be eligible for the HOPE Scholarship, please read the below instructions and information:
- Complete a GSFAPP on www.gafutures.org
- Print off a HOPE Review Form and submit it to the GHC Office of Financial Aid for evaluation (up to two-week processing timeframe).
See instructions at the bottom of this page to see if you have to submit a Hope Review Form.
You must have the required minimum GPA eligibility at the most recent Checkpoint:
After the semester where you earn at least 30, 60 or 90 total attempted credit hours (all credit hours attempted at any institution will be counted toward the HOPE Scholarship calculation) and maintained the minimum GPA through the End-of-Spring Checkpoints.
- All credit hours attempted at any institution will be counted toward the HOPE Scholarship calculation.
- Grades of W and WF are counted as part of your total attempted credit hours calculation.
- Before HOPE eligibility can be determined, all Final Official Transcripts from all institutions attended must be received and must include grades for all courses taken.
Any classes showing In Progress on a transcript will not be evaluated and will delay your evaluation.
New Freshman (No HOPE Review Form needed)
You MUST be deemed a Final HOPE Scholar by the State (Georgia Student Finance Commission) based on your High School Transcripts. Our Office does not determine your eligibility. You DO NOT have to submit a HOPE Eligibility Review Form. If you believe you are eligible and you are not showing as eligible on your CHECK MY AID STATUS link in SCORE, or you do not see your HOPE award on your Schedule Bill, please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Transfer Students (HOPE Review Form needed)
If you are requesting HOPE at GHC, you need to complete the HOPE Review Form and submit the completed form to the GHC Office of Financial Aid. All final official transcripts must be received by the GHC Office of Admissions and evaluated by the GHC Registrars Office. Students who are transferring to GHC should be prepared to pay in advance and be reimbursed for any HOPE payments later (if applicable) once eligibility is determined.
Transient Students (HOPE Review form needed)
If you are a GHC student attending another institution as a Transient Student, complete the HOPE Transient Request Form and submit it to the GHC Office of Financial Aid. Our Office will process accordingly and send a HOPE Transient Certification to the Host Institution indicated on the form.
As a Transient Student visiting Georgia Highlands College, your Home Institution submit a HOPE Transient Certificate to us through the state website in order for us to award any HOPE/Zell funds.
Home Schooled Students
Any Home Schooled student seeking HOPE must completed 30 attempted semester hours first. Once you meet 30 attempted semester hours, you must submit a final transcript to GSFC to be evaluated and approved for retroactive pay for the first 30 hours.
To receive the HOPE Scholarship for future semesters after the first 30 attempted semester hours. Please complete the HOPE Eligibility Review Form.
Eligibility reviews are conducted at the 30, 60, 90 attempted semester hour checkpoints and at the end of every spring. If your GPA is below the required minimum at a checkpoint, eligibility will be lost. Three Term Checkpoint is conducted when a student does not attend full-time during the first three semesters. Eligibility will be evaluated after the third semester.
Eligibility can only be regained during 30, 60 or 90 attempted semester hour checkpoints (all institutions attended and courses taken towards a degree program are calculated). A HOPE Eligibility Review Form must be submitted to be evaluated.
After a Second Loss of Eligibility – You Cannot Regain Eligibility