Home > Communication > Speech Competition > Rules
Georgia Highlands College
Public Speaking Competition
- In order to register for the competition, students must currently be enrolled at Georgia Highlands College, any campus location.
- Students must have taken in a previous semester, or be currently enrolled in, COMM1100-Human Communications or COMM 1210–Public Speaking.
- Students must turn in an outline of 500 words or less with their entry form. Extreme deviation from the submitted outline (i.e. change of topic or change of most of main points) will be grounds for disqualification.
- All speeches must be delivered extemporaneously, which means the speech must be prepared in advance of the competition and delivered with minimal reliance on notecards. You may use a maximum of 5 notecards, sized 3 ˝ by 5.” All notecards are to be turned in to the room monitor immediately after the speech is finished.
- Speech topics must be persuasive in nature.
- Contestants will adhere to a 6-8 minute time limit.
- Sources and references must be orally cited within the speech.
- Business professional dress is encouraged.
- Final round speeches may be video recorded and placed on YouTube. Contestants must sign a waiver that either grants permission, or does not grant permission, to do this.
- Each semi-finalist, and the first, second, and third place overall winners, will receive a monetary award. Amounts will be determined based on the number of overall competitors and will be announced at a later date.
Page last updated: January 9, 2012