Home > Compliance > Policy and Procedure Manual > Schedule Building Guidelines
Schedule Building GuidelinesSuggested Core Principles
- The course schedule will be developed with the goal of enhancing the ability of the students to register for a full-time schedule of classes.
- Courses will be scheduled in clearly identified blocks that allow students to attend during specific times of the day and week. For example, MW 8:00am-1:00pm could be considered a morning block. TR 5:00pm – 10:00pm could be considered an evening block. Friday and Saturday could be considered a weekend block.
- Courses at all locations will meet two days per week (e.g., Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday) or one day per week (e.g., Tuesday only, Friday only, Saturday only). Web-based, hybrid, cassette, and other distance courses will adhere to this model to the extent possible.
- Courses at all locations will be taught in consistent time blocks (e.g., 8:00am-9:15am, 9:30am – 10:45am, etc.) to the extent possible.
- Courses with lengths exceeding one hour fifteen minutes will include sufficient minutes for a short break during the class session.
- At least ten minute breaks will be scheduled between the end of time block for courses and the beginning of the next time block for courses.
Recommendations for Enhancing Schedule Design
- For each Georgia Highlands College location, designate an individual to serve as schedule coordinator for the location. The schedule coordinator would ensure that the core principles are being followed in the design of the schedule and that students can create reasonable schedules at the location. Additionally, the schedule coordinator, in conjunction with area coordinators and academic deans, would ensure that courses offered by different divisions fit together into a coherent overall course schedule.
- Develop and implement a generic time-line to outline the steps in developing the course schedule, identifying the parties responsible for completing the steps. As part of the time-line, clearly define the point in the development of the schedule at which faculty members are assigned to particular classes/times/sections.
Approved by Instructional Council 11-16-2004
Page last updated: November 25, 2011