Web-Based ENGL 1102...
- is designed for those who need flexibility in their schedule and are self-motivated
- requires at least a minimum comfort level with email and D2L
- teaches basics of literary analysis (poetry/fiction/drama) and research paper skills
- continues the ENGL 1101 focus on improving college-level writing skills
- typically involves 3-12 hours of student work each week
- has set due dates, but schedule flexibility because students can work ahead when needed and only need to log-in twice weekly
- requires no on-campus meetings (mandatory individual conferences with instructor can be completed via Collaborate)
- Required Textbook: The Norton Introduction to Literature (11th ed.), ISBN 978-0-393-91338-5
- Recommended Textbook: Harbrace Essentials, ISBN 978-0-495-90836-4 (Many students used this book in ENGL 1101. For those who don't have it already and prefer not to buy it, alternative online resources are included in the course.)
- Internet Access—at home or school
- Microsoft Office 2007/2010 or equivalent word processing program
- 4 Literary Analysis Essays (2 pages each, one timed)
- Source List and Plan (used to complete the Research Paper)
- Research Paper (5-7 pages)
**The number and type of assignments in this list is subject to change. This list is intended as a general guide only.**
Am I ready for an online class? Will you be successful in this course?
If this is your first online course, I would highly recommend that you take the Readiness for Education At a Distance Indicator (READI) to assess your readiness, your goals, and your learning preferences.
You can find the READI at http://goml.readi.info/
On that page you will find several User Names and Passwords. Select and use the one that best fits your major area of study. When the READI opens, you will notice a navigation bar on the left side. The items listed in the bar are the areas that you will be measured on by the indicator. At the end, a report will be displayed which you can use to help you prepare to be successful as a distance-learning student.