Time management skills are an integral part of your success in college. In fact, a recent study published in the Journal of American College Health found that time management skills were the most important predictor of GPA. In addition, the results of this study also indicate that students with better time management skills also had better personal lives. In other words, this study - and many others like it - suggest that good time management skills = a better life.
Developing time management skills is a journey that may begin with this web page, but needs practice and other guidance along the way. One goal is to help yourself become aware of how you use your time as one resource in organizing, prioritizing, and succeeding in your studies in the context of competing activities of friends, work, family, etc.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:
Life as a college student can be extremely hectic - and poor time management strategies can make this time in your life unbearable. The goal of this module is to introduce you to time management techniques and strategies to help make your life easier.
Upon completing the 21st Century Researcher module you will be able to:
- reflect on your current level of time management skills
- evaluate different time management strategies
- use technology to aid in time management
Before you learn about time management, try out your skills in this fast-paced game of buying, fixing up, and reselling houses. Not only is it addictive and fun, but it mimics real-life time management problems. Click on the picture below to start!
Assessing Your Time Managment Skills
The first step to improving your time management skills is to find out where you are now.Take the two quizzes below to find out!
Improving Your Time Management Skills
There is a HUGE amount of information online to help you improve your time management skills. Here are just a few tips and techniques to help you out. Click each of the images below for information on these techniques.
SMART Techniques CCOR Time Management Chart Your Time
Using Technology To Manage Time
Remember the Milk is a free, easy to use web-based and mobile-based application that lets you create lists, share lists, and send yourself reminders. Click on the picture below see a 1-minute tutorial.
Build and Post Your Plan:
Now that you've reviewed the information above, it's time to create your Time Management Plan. You're going to post this Plan on efolio.
Step 1: Click here to open your assignment. The first 2 pages are the Time Management Worksheet you saw above. Now it's time to fill it out! Make sure to answer the questions on page 3 as well.
Step 2: Access your Efolioworld Account at @ https://login.efolioworld.com/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fOwner%2fAdminUI.aspx&ui=mouse
Step 3: Click New Content --> Upload --> File --> Upload
Step 4: Click Choose File. Once You find your file and upload it. Name it "Time Management" in the Title box.
Step 5: Drag and Drop your Time Management File onto your GROWTH page.
- Houseflip: http://www.shockwave.com/gamelanding/houseflip.jsp
- Journal of American College Health Article: http://proxygsu-flo1.galileo.usg.edu/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a9h&AN=32013573&site=ehost-live
- Mind Tools' "How Good Is Your Time Management": mindtools.com/pages/article/newHTE_88.htm
- Wellness Wheel: students.sfu.ca/health/healthpromotion/wheel.html
- SMART Techniques: counseling.uchicago.edu/services/asap/timemgmt/smart_tips.shtml
- Time Management Worksheet: www.cod.edu/advising/time.pdf
- Remember the Milk: www.rememberthe milk.comRemember the Milk Video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OozwGijTBQ&feature=related