Contact Instructor: Libby Gore
MATH 1001, Quantitative Reasoning...
- teaches quantitative skills and reasoning in the context of everyday life experiences.
- continues building upon the ideas presented in the MATH 0987 of processing mathematical information in context from a variety of representations
- includes sets and set operations, logic, basic probability, data analysis, linear models, quadratic models, exponential and logarithmic models
- typically involves 3-10 hours of outside of class work each week
Is MATH 1001 the Correct Math Class for Me?
If you intend on pursuing one of the following non-STEM programs of study, then MATH 1001 is the right math class for you.
non-STEM Programs of Study
Art, Communications, Criminal Justice, Economics, English, Foreign Languages, General Studies (Non-STEM concentration), History, Journalism, Philosophy, Psychology, Sociology, Teacher Education- Early Childhood, Teacher Education- Middle Grades (non-mathematics concentration), Teacher Education - Special Education, Teacher Education - Secondary Education (non-STEM concentration), Human Services - Career Program, Dental Hygiene - Career Program, Nursing - Career Program (Associate Degree with GHC)
Required Textbook and MyMathLab Acces: Thinking Mathematically, 6th Edition, Blitzer, ISBN: 9780321923233
- Some students do not purchase the physical textbook, but rather only purchase MyMathLab access. There is an eBook version of the textbook within the program. MyMAthLab is web-based.
Online Math Program: MyMathLab accessed by Pearson Education accessed at http://www.mymathlab.com/
- **You MUST purchase access to MyMathLab!! All homework will be completed here.**
- TI 83 or TI 84/Plus Calculator: Each student taking this course needs access to a TI-83 or TI-84 graphing calculator. Students are permitted to use their calcultor to complete homework exercises, quizzes, and exams.
- Internet Access: All students have access to computers and the internet on all of the GHC campuses. Most students find that having off-campus internet access is very helpful with finishing their homework.
Fall 2014 Syllabus and Course Calendar
- 20 MyMathLab Homework Assignments
- 5 Unit Tests
- 1 Final Exam
*The number and type of assignments in this list is subject to change. This list is intended as a general guide only.**