The Discussions tool is a collaboration area to post, read and reply to threads on different topics, share thoughts about course materials, ask questions, share files, or work with your peers on assignments and homework.
Once a discussion gets going, new posts can come in very quickly. There are a number of places in Learning Environment that identify new posts to help you keep on top of things:
- The Alert icon on the Minibar shows new posts for all discussion topics in your courses.
- The number of unread posts appears beneath each topic in the Discussions List. To see only topics with unread posts, click Unread in the Filter by tool navigation.
- All topics that contain unread posts appear bolded if you have the Discussions List pane visible when viewing topics.
- Inside a topic, click Unread in the Filter by tool navigation.
- You can subscribe to specific discussion forums, topics, or threads to receive an email notification whenever there is a new post.
Reading Posts in Discussions
There are two ways to view posts inside a topic: The Grid vew and the Reading view.
In the Grid View, a list of posts appears at the top of the page, showing the subject, author, and date for each post. Click on a subject line to read the post; the full text appears in the preview pane or in a new window, depending on your personal settings.
Also in the Grid View, use the View drop-down list to switch between Threaded view, where posts are grouped with their replies, and one of the Unthreaded views (All Posts, Unread Only, Flagged Only, Unapproved Only).
In the Reading View, the full text of every post always displays once you click on a thread.
Creating a thread in Discussions
- Click on the topic where you want to create a thread.
- Click Start a New Thread.
- Enter a Subject.
- Enter your Post.
- Set any other posting options you want. (These options may not be available, depending on the course and the topic.)
To continue, click the "next" arrow...