MLA Citation Mechanics Quiz
True or False
1. _____ GALILEO is a collection of databases which feature articles and links to academic research.
2. _____ Paraphrasing is when a person substantially changes the wording of source material without altering meaning.
3. _____ Whenever possible, source material should be paraphrased as it is used within a research paper.
4. _____A paraphrase requires a parenthetical citation.
5. _____ Direct quotes which are four lines or less in length must include quotation marks.
6. _____ The parenthetical citation at the end of the quote reflects the first word(s) of that citation entry on the works cited page.
7. _____ When an electronic copy of an article is in .html format, the parenthetical citation includes no page number.
8. _____ A parenthetical citation for an article which has no named author should include the title of the article and page number when available.
9. _____The following quote by Desmond Tutu from page 2 of a published essay he wrote has proper use of parenthesis, quotes, punctuation: “We are prisoners of hope” (Tutu 2).
10. ______A quote which is five lines or longer should be indented ten spaces from left margin and have no quotation marks.
11. _____ All entries on a works cited page must also be cited parenthetically within the research paper.
12. _____The entries on the works cited page should be double spaced.
13. _____The entries on the works cited page should be arranged alphabetically by authors’ last names or first major words of titles when no author is named.